Saturday, May 18, 2013

Tiny Ballerinas

Dance recitals are very exciting things for little girls - and their parents.  They spend all year going to dance class, learning their routine, practicing and practicing.  Then finally, the day is here.  They get to get all dressed up in costumes, get their hair done, and even put makeup on! (gasp!)


Imagine the excitement and nervousness in the room with 20 girls waiting for their dance to come up.  I wouldn't want to be the volunteer to chaperone that room!

The show starts.  Every time the curtain opens there is a collective "awwww" from the crowd - well, only for the little girls.  The teenagers are no longer "cute" enough for an awwww.  Some classes do pretty well.  They actually know their dance.  Other classes spend the whole time staring at their teacher in the wings.  But they are still so cute!


I may be biased, but I believe this particular class was the best of the night.  Maybe it's just because 2 of the girls are my own....  but I like to believe it's because they were the only class (literally) that actually knew their whole dance from start to finish and didn't stare at their teacher in the wings.  My heart was bursting with pride.

Seriously, it's amazing how emotional we can get when our little ones do something like this.  I watch my little girls as they accomplish something great - and for 5 and 6 year-olds a dance recital is definitely something great - and I have a hard time not getting emotional.  Tears come to my eyes and a lump in my throat.  My little girls are doing something well, and it makes me very happy.

One more picture of the sweetest ballerinas in the world!

1 comment:

  1. I was never the ballerina type girl but my daughter LOVES it and it s amazing how you come to enjoy something because they re doing it and it swells your heart with pride to watch them. Your girls look adorable. 5 and 6? Wow, that must have been like having twins!

    ReplyDelete